CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
Abstract Submission Now Open for the 6th Asian Federation of Osteoporosis Societies (AFOS) Meeting 2019 to be held in Manila, Philippines.
The Osteoporosis Society of the Philippines Foundation, Inc. (OSPFI) and the Asian Federation of Osteoporosis Societies (AFOS) invite applications for oral and poster presentation sessions which will be held at the AFOS Meeting 2019 in Manila, Philippines in Century Park Hotel on 29-31 August 2019.
The Research Committee will select from the submitted abstracts as to which will be for oral and for poster presentation. Top-rated abstracts will be chosen for oral presentation.
The deadline to submit abstracts is on JUNE 30, 2019, 5:00 PM Philippine time.
- Topics accepted
Papers on osteoporosis, bone biology, metabolic bone disease, surgery for osteoporotic fractures, exercise for and rehabilitation of osteoporosis patients, bone densitometry, systems approach to osteoporosis care (i.e. fracture liaison service), calcium and phosphorus metabolism, nutrition for bone health, patient perspectives and experiences regarding osteoporosis and related topics are welcome.
All research designs are accepted (clinical trials, prospective cohorts, retrospective, descriptive, case series / report, etc.).
Preparing the abstract
- Abstracts must be written in English using Arial font, size 11, maximum of 300 words. (TEXT SIZE, FONT, NUMBER OF WORDS)
- All abstract submissions should be made electronically. Submissions via fax or mail will not be accepted.
- All research studies should have obtained ethics approval from their respective institutions, if applicable.Ethics approval not needed for case reports.
- All clinical trials should be registered with the a Clinical Trials Registry.
- There is no limit as to the number of abstracts an author can submit
Authors should declare any potential conflict of interests.
By submitting the abstract, you agree to present the paper if selected for presentations (poster/oral) at the AFOS 2019 Manila.
The research committee of AFOS 2019 Manila reserves the right to make alterations and to edit the abstract with respect to spelling and grammar.
- We will accept Abstracts papers that have been presented in other previous meetings or congresses will be accepted. Authors need to clearly indicate this at the time of submission. This does not disqualify an abstract but must be stateddisclosed upon submission.
- Papers which have been submitted already for publication may still be accepted provided this has not been published by the date of the meeting. Please indicate in the submission if the paper has been submitted elsewhere for publication and is ongoing consideration and in which journal.
- Papers that have already been published in any local or internal journal will not be accepted anymore for presentation in this meeting.
FORMAT OF AN ABSTRACT FOR ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Abstract are to be structured as follows:
The title of the abstract
Should be brief but adequately descriptive. BOLD and CAPITALIZE all words in the title
Background / Introduction
One or two sentences to provide significance of the study.
The main purpose objectives of the study.
Give sufficient details of study setting, participants, selection process, outcome measurements and analyses.
Sufficient data to address objectives and support conclusions.
This should be based on results, findings and observations of the study. This should not be a discussion of related articles. References and acknowledgements are not required. They, however, can be included in the presentation.
Word Limit: 300 words
Format of an abstract for Case Report
The title of the abstract
Title should identify key components of your case report. The title should make it clear that it is a case report.BOLD and CAPITALIZE all words in the title.
Explain why this case is worth reporting and what it adds to current knowledge.
This section should include basic demographics, history, physical examination, laboratory findings, diagnosis and differential diagnosis, treatment and outcome.
Due to word limitations, include only the information relevant to your reason for presenting the case.
This section should state the main take-home lessons from the case. You may want to state the implications of the case for practice or future research.
Word Limit: 300 words
The following instructions should be followed adhered to for abstracts of both research articles and case reports.
- Authors’ complete names must be included. Please CAPITALIZE the surname/last name of each author. Underline the name of the presenting author. Example: (Juan DELA CRUZ, Mario REYES). The presenting author must also be the corresponding author.
- Prefixes (i.e. Dr. or Prof.) should not be indicated.
- The institutional affiliation of the authors has to be mentioned as well.
- The author/s should take full public responsibility for the research work/case reports and the contents reported in the abstract.
When uploading the abstract as an MS Word document, please format as below.
Title: BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS
Authors: First name followed by surname of each author, with surname CAPITALIZED. Name of the presenting author underlined. A superscript number should be placed after each name to refer to the respective affiliations. (e.g. Juan DELA CRUZ1, Mario REYES2)
Affiliations: must be listed below the authors
Body of the abstract: Structured with subheadings: Introduction and Objectives, Method, Results and Conclusions.
Font size: 11, single line spacing
All submissions should have a disclosure that includes a self-declaration to cover the following issues:
- Whether work has been presented previously or submitted for publication and ongoing consideration.
- Place and date of obtaining ethical approval (if applicable).
- Potential conflicts of interests
- Taking full public responsibility for the research work/case reports and the contents reported in the abstract
Submitting the abstract
Abstracts can be submitted in one of two ways:
- Online through the abstract submission web portal:
- By emailing using the form given in the website for this purpose. Use this form – DOWNLOADABLE FORM.
Submitting the abstract as an email
Use the form which could be downloaded HERE. Once all the required information is entered, you could email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org as an editable Microsoft Word document. PDF format is not acceptable.
Two copies of the abstract should be attached, one with the authors’; names and the other copy should be without authors’ names.
Acknowledgement of Submission
- Abstracts not conforming to the above instructions will be rejected
- The Research Committee off AFOS 2019 Manila reserves the right to select from among the submitted abstracts and choose which will be for poster and oral presentations.
- Each email submission will be sent an acknowledgement email by the Research Committee of AFOS 2019 Manila.
- The corresponding author of each successful paper selected will be informed by email NOT LATER THAN JUNE 30, 2019. Please note that NO revisions of the submitted abstracts, including authorship, would be entertained once the abstract has been accepted
- Once a submitted abstract is accepted, the corresponding / presenting author must register and pay the registration fee for the Meeting.